"We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service relationship to humanity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

On planning your own party, sticky notes, and lists

I'm a list-maker.  My desks at home and work are littered with sticky notes listing to-do's, grocery lists, cool songs to add to my iPod, budgets, and interesting quotes or notes to myself.  Making lists calms me.  I get a slight thrill with the tug of a clean sticky note off of the pad or every time I cross off a done to-do.  With the all-powerful iPhone, I've moved my calendar into the electronic age, but I'm hanging on hard and fast to my sticky notes.  I'm a planner.

As such, I want to ensure that I see and spend some fun time with my Portland friends before I leave.  A week ago, I sent out an email to a few close friends regarding getting together tonight.  I had already planned on meeting my good friend Anne (who rarely leaves home) for a drink last night.  When I got to the restaurant, I found a table outside and texted her to let her know where I was, as I thought I was the first one there only to receive a reply that she had a table inside.  So, after giving a quick greeting hug and surveying the room, something was unusual...

Hey, there's Tom!  What a coincidence!  Wait, that's Mike...and Jennie.  She said she was busy tonight.  What the???  Oh crap, here come the tears... 


So, though I attempted to plan my own party (which, by the way, is still happening tonight), my lists and neurotic need to plan EVERYTHING was for naught.  My friends beat me to it.

Add to my to-do list:  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment