"We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service relationship to humanity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Check....check....check....

Two months from today, I'll be landing in Dar es Salaam.  It's so surreal!  But, as I wade through the unending checklist of things to do, it's becoming a bit more "real".  Last week, I received six of the eight immunization shots that I'll need, and have the bruised arms to prove it!  The passport photos for my visa and short-term residency permit have been taken, and my visa application will be in the mail tomorrow.  I'm amazed that I'm only $116 from reaching my program fee fundraising goal.  Thank you, thank you, thank you all for allowing this dream to become a reality!  Now, if I could only get some swahili down.

On Friday, one of my Somali students who was a refugee in Kenya and therefore speaks some kiswahili (aka swahili), came into my room and announced that she was going to help me learn.  In Tanzania, greetings are long and drawn out.  A typical American nod with a "What's up?" simply won't suffice and is considered insulting.  Tanzanians say hello, even to complete strangers, for about twenty minutes:

"Jambo!"
"Jambo sana!"
"Habari za asubuhi!"
"Mzuri."
"Mzuri sana!"
"Karibu!"
"Asante sana!"
"Tutuonana baadaye!"

Translation:  What's up?

I'm in for a bit of a shock.  When I asked Fatima (the student) what was next, as I know that a typical greeting is far longer, she looked at me and said in a very serious manner, "Let's start slow.  You're not ready for more yet."

No comments:

Post a Comment